Data Architect – SQL ServerApply Now
Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI) provides asset management and business processing solutions to education, healthcare and government clients at the federal, state, and local levels. We help our clients and millions of Americans achieve financial success through our services and support. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient employs team members in Western New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and other locations. Learn more at navient.com.
The Data Architect is responsible for developing the logical and physical data base design and documentation for systems within Navient. The Data Architect is also responsible for providing metadata management and support to various departments throughout the company. The individual provides subject matter expertise in a broad range of data management disciplines, including data normalization techniques and data rationalization. The Data Architect provides direction and leadership to others regarding data architecture activities and assists management in defining the data architecture standards, policies and procedures to enforce limited data redundancy and high levels of data integrity across Navient systems. The Data Architect provides critical support to the Data Governance Office (DGO) with technical knowledge, research and documentation.
Data Model Development
- Work closely with development teams to identify data requirements for the application and business processing
- Generate and review logical / physical data models which consist of the entity-relationship diagram (ERD), entity and data element business names and descriptions as well as defining data element valid values, type and length, and physical target names
- Lead data normalization efforts as well as working closely with the DBA to reach a consensus on the physical data base design
- Generate and review DDL scripts for implementation by the DBAs including primary and foreign keys, indexes, constraints, and other physical database characteristics
- Ensure all documentation and deliverables within the enterprise repository tool and corporate libraries are correct
- Design and communicate alternative modeling solution pros and cons to the application development teams
- Coordinate ad hoc requests regarding metadata information on the systems supported
- Responsible for metadata management including the enforcement of standards and naming convention
- Coordinate metadata and metric requests from various departments and systems within Navient
- Lead data rationalization efforts for the enterprise data repository
- Establish enterprise-wide data strategy and manage tasks to move towards the strategic goals
Data Governance/Data Quality
- Work closely with the Data Governance Office (DGO) to identify, track and resolve DG and Data Quality (DQ) issues
- Prepare Data Standardization Templates for DGO review
- Provide guidance on metadata changes approved by the DGO and/or the DG Council
- Provide guidance on data rationalization efforts for DG domains
- Work with clients and junior staff to answer data, metadata and data model questions
- Review deliverables for consistency, accuracy, and enterprise standards
- Commit to and meet deadlines in both quality and time
- Establish and improve corporate relationships to better manage customer expectations
- Solve and/or escalate critical issues to upper management
- Establish and approve corporate naming guidelines and standard abbreviations as well as department procedures and standards
- Refine metrics and auditing information for reporting purposes
- Advance new policies / procedures to ensure modeling consistency and alleviate confusion within the data management and development teams
- Balance group resources to client requests and demands
- 10+ years progressive experience in IT
- 10+ years direct experience in data management
- 5+ years of SQL experience
- Bachelor’s Computer Technology or related
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with project and application development teams, management and clients
- High level of competency and extensive experience in data requirements gathering and validation, logical and physical database modeling, data normalization techniques, data rationalization and enterprise data management
- Technical proficiency of data management concepts, principles, and industry best practices
- Proven proficiency in structured analysis and design techniques including normalization
- Experience in developing data warehouse environments and data marts
Must be able to obtain High risk (6C) public trust security clearance as required of federal government contractors to include a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. For this level of clearance, must possess U.S. citizenship.
- Big Data training
- Data warehouse training
- Dimensional model training
- Leadership or supervisory training
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.