Data Center ManagerApply Now
The Data Operations Manager provides the leadership, direction, planning and supervision necessary for the Data Center Operations unit to meet the multi-platform, enterprise-wide operations needs of Navient, as well as its affiliated companies, business partners, and corporate clients. Responsible for all personnel matters, unit productivity, quality of services delivered, unit training, as well as the Standards in Technology practiced by all Navient Data and Technology centers. Ensures that all provided services are delivered timely, accurately, communicated appropriately, documented, and auditable. Reviews emerging technologies for utilization in data center and facilities management, environmental infrastructure, and technology placement, power, and cooling management; anticipating client needs and requirements; and recommends appropriate technical and non-technical solutions to effect process improvement. Serves as the primary liaison between Data Center Operations and all units within Information Technology, other units within Navient and its external clients, as well as providing operational support via analyses, problem solving, and business skills. Manages all aspects of the unit’s projects, including determining priorities, approving project plans, and establishing deadlines. Ensures all audit requirements and controls are documented and adhered to within Data Center Operations daily processes and procedures.
Staff Resource Management
- Develop and maintain trained staff to meet business needs and service levels.
- Review, update or create job descriptions.
- Evaluate performance on a regular schedule and provide timely feedback for improvement
- Interview and recommend for hire Data Center Operations personnel.
- Recommend and administer disciplinary action, including termination.
- Provide advice and direction to all units of Data Center Operations staff.
- Ensuring staff training goals are identified and plans are put in place for these to be met.
- Develop, motivate, mentor and coach staff.
Data and Technology Center Management
- Ensure all infrastructure components are received, tracked, installed, maintained and disposed properly across the Navient enterprise in compliance with documented controls.
- Provide standards and guidance to remote data and technology centers to maintain compliance to documented controls.
- Assure appropriate communication across the Information Technology and customer base.
- Maintain and report availability of key infrastructure components space, power, cooling, etc. to management
- Maintain service metrics and provide requested reporting to management.
- In conjunction with unit customers, establish and maintain service levels.
- Provide customer service and support for daily production processing and system availability.
- Recommend process enhancements and solutions to enhance quality and efficiency.
- Handle sensitive internal/external client contact.
- Facilitate co-development of solutions that address the objectives of individual business and technology units.
- Ensure data Center Operations incorporates appropriate control points and quality procedures in accordance with all regulatory measures.
- Develop and maintain relationship with other management within IT and all business units.
Provide Leadership and Direction
- Guide the planning, and execution of Data Center operations including the installation, maintenance and repair of hardware, systems, back-up and batch job processing,
- Oversee all IT operations scheduling and production control ensuring service level agreements are met.
- Apply knowledge of service requirements toward time, problem identification, and resolution.
- Manage internal and external audits of departmental procedures, processes, and completed work.
- Primary Data Center Operations liaison to hardware/software vendors for products and services affecting/used by the unit.
- Guide development of Data Center Operations policies and procedures for all services and platforms supported.
- Ensure proper change control processes are followed and executed.
- Prioritize, manage, and/or oversee delegated projects that address client expectations and Data Center Operation’s needs.
- Prioritize and allocate unit resources as required.
- Approve project plans, deliverables, and completion deadlines.
- Develop unit projects to improve service, quality, and efficiency.
- Create and proactively manage the annual budget for Data Center Operations.
- Identify excessive expenditures and opportunities for budget reductions and take appropriate action.
- Allocate personnel and equipment resources necessary to meet business unit objectives.
- Provide monthly/quarterly variance reports to management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field
- Additional equivalent education above the required minimum may substitute for the checked level of experience
- Additional equivalent experience above the required minimum may substitute for the checked level of education
- Minimum of 7 years of Data Center Operations experience in a large company environment.
- 3+ year’s project management experience in technical environment, including developing, leading, and managing multiple projects.
- Extensive customer service and problem resolution experience, including creating/supporting service level agreements.
- Five or more years Supervisory/Management experience in a large IT operation with responsibilities including personnel management of technical staff and budget preparation and management.
- Experience in creating and maintaining policies and procedures and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Extensive knowledge of Change and Release Management best practices.
- Experience working with internal and external auditors.
- This position will support a federal government contract. Applicants must be able to obtain Public Trust security clearance as required of federal government contractors to include a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. For this level of clearance, applicants must possess U.S citizenship
- Strong project management skills, including ability to manage/direct multiple concurrent projects.
- Extensive knowledge of ITIL Change and Release Management concepts and practices.
- Proven ability to create/approve project plans, determine priority based on business needs, and manage to specific target deadlines.
- Thorough understanding of data processing concepts and demonstrated ability to apply effective solutions to complex operational issues.
- Working knowledge of PC-based tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Service Desk, Windows).
- Proven ability to organize and direct work teams comprised of diverse backgrounds and technical skills.
- Demonstrated coaching and counseling skills necessary to develop technical and interpersonal skills of assigned staff through effective delegation of tasks/responsibilities, promoting team interaction, and presenting a professional image via a positive work ethic.
- Ability to provide organizational structure that promotes quality initiatives and creates a positive working atmosphere for staff members.
- Self-motivated with high level of initiative
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.