Software Engineer II - Applications DevelopmentApply Now
Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI) provides asset management and business processing solutions to education, healthcare and government clients at the federal, state, and local levels. We help our clients and millions of Americans achieve financial success through our services and support. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient employs team members in Western New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and other locations. Learn more at navient.com.
The Software Engineer II - Applications Development will work on Java application solutions, API gateways, REST services, SOAP services and transactional RDBMS. The Software Engineer II will be required to work with the business and IT areas to develop solutions from design to implementation. In addition, the position requires evaluation of 3rd-party software and emerging application development techniques.
Essential Functions of the Software Engineer II:
1. Technical Analysis/Design/Construction
- Analyze the system requirements for medium-to-large scale projects. May work individually, with other areas within Information Technology, and with Business Analysts to evaluate, design, and construct solutions such as customer facing web applications, system integrations, robotic automations, etc.
- Analyze large project system requirements to provide architectural, system, and testing designs that satisfy business requirements
- Plan, develop, and perform Unit Tests and System Integration Tests to ensure requirement traceability and a minimal defect environment
- Maintain awareness of standards, guidelines, generally accepted best practices and industry trends related to infrastructure and application architecture
- Develop and maintain IT technology and other application development artifacts
2. Evaluate Emerging Technologies and Techniques
- Investigate 3rd-party tools (FullStory, Ocelot, etc.) for applicable use by Navient
- Evaluate new techniques and processes (Test-driven Development, etc.) for applicable use by Navient
3. Business Customer Engagement/Relationship Management
- Work with internal and external business users to analyze requests and the initial definition of changes to the business functions
- Help business partners to understand scope, feasibility, risk, and cost of requested capabilities (and suggest alternatives where applicable)
- Maintain professional peer relationships across the organization
4. Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor's Degree Computer Science, Computer Technology or related discipline OR additional equivalent experience above the required minimum
- This position will support a federal government contract. Applicants must be able to obtain Public Trust security clearance as required of federal government contractors to include a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. For this level of clearance, applicants must possess U.S.citizenship.
- 3 years of overall IT experience OR additional equivalent education above the required minimum
- 2 years of experience in Solution Architecture or Application Development OR additional equivalent education above the required minimum
- Proficient in application development with web technologies with Java technologies (i.e. JAVA, SOAP, REST, JSON, XML, XSLT, HTML)
- Experience using Microsoft TFS for automated deployments
- Experience developing and maintaining APIs
- Experience working as part of a SCRUM team
- Proficient with RDBMS technologies (SQL Server, Oracle)
- Proficient analytical and troubleshooting skills in a medium-to-large enterprise environment
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of technical infrastructure (servers, database, storage, network)
- Familiarity with Agile methodology and related frameworks (Scrum, KanBan)
- Familiarity with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) tools such as SSIS
- Familiarity with enterprise reporting tools (SSRS, Crystal, Tableau)
- Knowledge of IT-related security and compliance regulations (PCI, FISMA, FedRAMP, Pub 1075)
- Applicable industry certifications are a plus
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.