Accountant - TreasuryApply Now
During this time of recommended social distancing, Navient will conduct telephone interviews only until it is safe and permissible to invite candidates to our offices for personal interviews. We look forward to receiving your application and appreciate your flexibility and understanding.
Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI) provides asset management and business processing solutions to education, healthcare and government clients at the federal, state, and local levels. We help our clients and millions of Americans achieve financial success through our services and support. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient employs team members in Western New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and other locations. Learn more at navient.com.
Navient has a great opportunity for an Accountant at our Herndon, VA office. The Accountant is responsible for accounting and reporting functions related to the Company's various capital markets transactions. This includes maintaining accounting systems, booking journal entries, reconciling the general ledger, resolving issues with Treasury back office, ensuring compliance with relevant accounting standards, maintaining a strong controls environment, and analytical reporting and reviewing of results. This job requires flexibility in work hours and mandatory overtime during peak periods.
Essential Job Functions:
1. General Ledger Accounting
- Create journal entries to accurately account for various entities cash activity and balances
- Set foreign currency spot rates based on contractual agreements and create
corresponding journal entries
- Implement and create new templates for Peoplesoft sub-system to reflect new banking activity
- Ensure accurate new general ledger account creation
- Prepare accounting entries for invoices received relative to the Company’s secured financings
- Prepare accounting entries for non-facility Revolving Credit Agreements
- Monitor and clear inter-company balances
2. Monthly/ Quarterly Reporting
- Create and maintain internal and external reports
- Review and maintain various excel spreadsheets used for monthly analysis and
reporting of monthly results
- Prepare quarterly reporting used to support disclosures included in SEC Forms 10K/Q
- Create and complete accurate ad hoc reporting
3. Customer Service
- Liaison with IT, Front Office, Back Office, Financial Reporting and other departments within the Company
- Participate in cross-training
- Respond to internal/external audit inquiries in a timely manner
- Assist with internal and external audit requests and management testing
4. Accounting and Treasury System Maintenance
- Update secured deals in Principia timely for capitalized invoices and ensure they are reconciled to the inventory of invoices outstanding.
- Approve trades associated with structured finance collateral transactions.
- Maintain and create accounting templates within PeopleSoft Treasury
- Bachelor's Degree - Accounting, Finance, Economics
- 0-2 year of accounting/finance experience or back office/middle office experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- General Ledger software (e.g., Oracle, PeopleSoft, etc.) experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.