Associate General Counsel - LitigationApply Now
We are looking for a highly skilled Litigation Attorney to join our team in Herndon, Virginia. The Associate General Counsel position defends Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries ("Navient") in litigation and government investigations. Responsibilities include working with outside counsel to litigate or arbitrate consumer-related claims under various federal and state statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA"), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA"), the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), and various state consumer protection laws such as the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act and the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Also provides specialized legal advice to various Navient departments regarding federal and state consumer protection laws. Familiarity with the Higher Education Act, federal student loan programs and federal student loan servicing practices preferred. Given the volume of cases handled by Navient attorneys, the successful candidate should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that requires travel on occasion.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Works with outside counsel to litigate or arbitrate consumer-related claims brought in federal and state courts throughout the United States against Navient. Primarily responsible for single-plaintiff matters but may assist with class-action matters from time-to-time.
- Assists outside counsel on matters of procedure and substantive law, including drafting pleadings, working on discovery matters, and offering guidance reflecting Navient policies and strategic goals.
- Provides legal advice in connection with government inquiries and investigations.
- Manages outside counsel retained to assist in litigation and arbitration.
- Requires occasional travel in support of ongoing litigation.
- Conducts legal research on sophisticated topics involving state and federal consumer protection laws and assists with drafting legal briefs.
- Maintains awareness of relevant case law, legislation and enforcement actions relating to litigation matters in the consumer credit and collections area and conveys relevant developments to business clients in a way that is understandable to the client.
- Assists in the management of the Navient Legal Department by providing periodic and ad hoc reports regarding ongoing and threatened litigation.
- This position will support a federal government contract. Applicants must be able to obtain Public Trust security clearance as required of federal government contractors to include a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. For this level of clearance, applicants must possess U.S. citizenship.
- Juris Doctor Degree; Licensed and in good standing in Virginia, or the ability to be admitted as corporate counsel in Virginia.
- 4+ years of relevant law firm, in-house, or regulatory experience.
- Familiarity with the Higher Education Act, federal student loan programs and federal student loan servicing practices preferred.
- Ability to provide consistent, high-quality legal analysis, advice and transactional support.
- Ability to produce a significant volume of work necessary to timely complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, outside counsel and advisors, and vendors in an articulate, courteous and business-like manner at all times.
- Ability to work under pressure independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively supervise and manage outside attorneys.
- Adaptability to changing demands.
- Attention to detail and effective problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility to work beyond regularly scheduled business hours.
- Strong writing skills.
- Occasional travel required.
- Strong communication, organization and multi-task management skills.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel preferred.
- Strong legal/financial/business acumen and ability to work effectively and multitask successfully in fast-paced and complex business environment.
- The ideal candidate is a hard-working self-starter with excellent attention to detail, thrives in a fast-paced, energetic and entrepreneurial environment, and has excellent problem solving, interpersonal, teamwork, writing, negotiation, and client communication skills.
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.