Employee Relations SpecialistApply Now
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting field locations in building strong relationships between employees and managers/supervisors which is the essence of creating an issue free work environment where each employee can contribute to their maximum potential. The Employee Relations Specialist will provide advice and counsel via-telephone and written communications to employees and front line managers in a wide variety of areas including but not limited to; performance management, conflict resolution, and general employment policy interpretation. The person will also determine when it is appropriate to escalate issues and involve others to ensure that decisions are made at the appropriate level of the organization, in keeping with the Navient’s policies and procedures, and in the best interests of the Company. The Employee Relations Specialist will be responsible for using independent judgment when making decisions and giving advice to employees and managers as well as providing appropriate follow-up on employment related inquiries and issues.
The Employee Relations team is currently working remote which has the potential of changing in the future.
The schedule is Monday – Friday 8:00am- 5:00pm, but it could be changed based on departmental needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Applies independent judgment when providing guidance and mediation to employees and managers in the resolution of work related issues and inquiries
- Partner with managers to coach and counsel employees on work-related situations and ensure that appropriate disciplinary actions are taken
- Ensures that employees are treated fairly and with respect
- Consult with management regarding interpretation and administration of human resource policies, programs, procedures and compliance with applicable state/federal statutes and regulations
- Review appropriate progressive disciplinary documentation, coach management on recommend revisions
- Execute company processes and policies surrounding employee separations
- Process Workers Compensation claims
- Independently reviews, edits, and approves progressive discipline
- Assists with implementation of new HR/ER programs
- Makes independent decisions with regard to pre-employment background screening and hire eligibility.
- Reviews and responds to unemployment claims
- Track all employee and manager communication in ER case software system
- Maintain employee relation files including Workers Compensation
- Maintain and prepare investigation documentation
- Edit, draft and track employee and company communication during the course of case resolution
- Maintain current knowledge on company systems, policies and processes
- Maintain current knowledge on Federal and State laws affecting employment
Diversity and Affirmative Action
- Assists with diversity activities by upholding the company’s policies, plans, programs, and practices with respect to equal employment and affirmative action
- Some college in HR or related field
- Minimum two years’ experience in an HR type role preferably with experience in employee relations, progressive discipline, dismissal actions, grievance procedures, training, and mediation.
- Experience in a non-union work environment that maximizes the employee experience through positive employee relations is essential
- Knowledge of Employee Relations concepts, laws and practice, as well as investigative techniques required for success.
- A mental agility and flexibility; ability to impact/provide support to other human resources functions
- Demonstrated skills in researching and/or resolving employee relations situations
- Hands on knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and government compliance requirements
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to travel overnight if requested
- Technical ability to include the use of personal computers and HRIS systems from a user perspective
- May require a U.S.A. security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation
- PHR/SPHR certification
- Call Center experience helpful
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.