Loan Performance Modeling ManagerApply Now
Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI) provides asset management and business processing solutions to education, healthcare and government clients at the federal, state, and local levels. We help our clients and millions of Americans achieve financial success through our services and support. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient employs team members in Western New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and other locations. Learn more at navient.com.
The Loan Performance Modeling Manager will provide support for recurring and ad hoc analysis of Navient’s Private and FFELP loan portfolio. The Loan Performance Modeling Manager will be responsible for gaining a thorough understanding of student loan performance and borrower behavior and applying that knowledge to support analysis that drives the company’s portfolio valuation estimates, loan loss reserve, securitization and acquisition analysis, and other key aspects of the company’s funding programs and accounting estimates.
The Loan Performance Modeling Manager will be part of a team that is responsible for execution of the analysis, communication of results, ad hoc research, and internal control framework for the Critical Accounting Assumptions (CAA). The Loan Performance Modeling Manager will manage the efforts of all analysts within the CAA team.
The responsibilities of this position require the incumbent to have strong logic and analytical skills—both quantitative and qualitative. The individual will ideally have a background in finance or economics and command of applications related to modeling and analysis, especially Microsoft Excel, Access and SAS. Background in other financial modeling applications that use SQL or related syntax is an additional helpful qualification. In addition, the incumbent will support the Current Expected Credit Losses (CECL) implementation by performing on-going and ad hoc reporting and analysis on loan portfolio performance to assist in the development and on-going maintenance and execution of financial models.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Research Project Work – Design and execute analyses that answer key questions posed by management relative to loan performance impacts of new business, emerging developments, operational changes or deeper exploration of performance trends. Design and execute ad hoc analyses to support the understanding and application of the CAA results. Identify and implement model enhancements. Automate and streamline existing models and supporting processes.
2. CAA Modeling – Assist in updating and running models on a quarterly basis. Update and prepare deliverables for CAA Committee meetings. Brief the CAA committee, including executive management, on CAA results. Work with counterparts in other groups to track model uses, understand impact of assumption changes and provide guidance on application of CAA results.
3. Model Documentation and Validation – Create, update, and enhance model documentation. Perform validation checks for owned models and review model controls executed by others on the CAA team. Assist in maintaining compliance with the company’s Model Risk Management program for CAA and Corporate Finance models, and by performing independent model validation exercises with other groups in the company.
4. Data and Infrastructure Subject Matter Expert– Acquire a detailed technical understanding of how CAA models work as well as key drivers and assumptions. Identify and understand the data sources used in CAA modeling. Assist in monitoring and testing data needed by Corporate Finance to drive its reporting and analysis.
5. Management – manage a team responsible for Critical Accounting Assumptions. Report on team performance and update on in-flight analysis. Support performance management activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree – Economics, Mathematics or Finance
- 4-6 years of related modeling/analytical experience
- Expertise in Excel, Access and SAS
- Experience in SQL
- Ability to independently manage projects
- Demonstrated leadership skills, attention to detail, strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.