Senior Accountant IIApply Now
Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI) provides asset management and business processing solutions to education, healthcare and government clients at the federal, state, and local levels. We help our clients and millions of Americans achieve financial success through our services and support. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient employs team members in Western New York, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and other locations. Learn more at navient.com.
The Department is responsible for accounting and reporting functions related to subsidiary accounting operations. This includes booking, reviewing and approving journal entries, reconciling key general ledger accounts, review staff accountant reconciliations, ensuring compliance with relevant accounting standards, licensing deliverables, assisting with annual external audits, preparing disclosures for SEC 10K/Q filings and analytical reporting and reviewing of results. In addition, the group is called on for ad hoc reporting and analysis as needed by Senior Management.
Specific job responsibilities include preparing, reviewing and approving accounting entries, reconciling key general ledger accounts and reviewing cash activity from the bank to general ledger. The incumbent is responsible for preparing ad hoc reports and financials as required for licensing and audit requests from various states, analysis as well as the preparation of reports for quarterly closes and SEC disclosures, and assisting with internal and external audits. This job requires flexibility in work hours and mandatory overtime during peak periods. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment is required.
Essential Job Functions:
1. General Ledger Accounting and Reconciliations
- Prepare journal entries to accurately account for cash account activity and balances.
- Review and approve journal entries prepared by staff accountants.
- Ensure accurate new general ledger account creation.
- Reconciling key general ledger accounts.
- Review and approve reconciliations prepared by staff accountants.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve outstanding variances, especially handle non-routine problems.
2. Support Department Projects/Audits
- Prepare ad hoc reports, financial statements and supporting schedules for licensing and audit requests.
- Prepare financial statements, supporting schedules and other deliverables as requested for both internal and external audits, as well as collaborate with management to complete ICE documentation and support for testing.
- Partner with other operations departments, respond to questions, and provide information as required.
3. Monthly/Quarterly Reporting
- Prepare quarterly reporting used to support disclosures included in SEC Forms 10K/Q.
- Review and maintain various excel spreadsheets used for monthly analysis and reporting of monthly results.
- Create and complete accurate ad hoc reporting.
4. Client Remittances
- Assist with review of daily remittances to clients via ACH or wire.
- Assist with creation of payment templates used for daily client remittances.
5. Training for Key Areas
- Provide function specific training for key responsibilities to ensure cross-training and support within the department.
This position will support a federal government contract. Applicants must be able to obtain Public Trust security clearance as required of federal government contractors to include a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. For this level of clearance, applicants must possess U.S.citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree - Accounting, Finance, Economics
- 3 plus years of accounting/finance experience
- Financial analysis
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- General Ledger software (e.g.-SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle Cloud, etc.) experience
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.